March 23, 2012

Beautiful Photo Friday




Today's Beautiful Photo Friday features one of my favorite tools-my little Molcajete. A Molcajete is a stone tool, the Mexican version of the mortar and pestle. I use it often, especially for hand grinding my oats for Orange Honey Drizzle with Oats (featuring citrus honey,sweet orange essential oil and hand ground colloidal oats.) Why not just throw oats in the spice mill you ask? Well for two reasons 1) I enjoy the process of grinding the oats-it's meditative and adds a more personal touch 2) using the Molcajete allows me much more control over the texture I want my oats to have-I don't want to completely annihilate my oats to the point of oat flour. I do want oats that are not whole with a certain proportion of oat flour-a Molcajete is perfect for this. A Molcajete is a beautiful thing.

3 comments:

Two Blooms Design Studio said...

Love the photos, I have a mortar and pestle too that I like to use on occasion.

Michelle

Becky said...

That is a beautiful photo, Michele. (I admire your patience in actually using it, too...will you think less of me if I confess that my favorite tool is my Magic Bullet? LOL :D xo

Tierra Verde Handmade Soap said...

@Michelle-don't you just love the whole mortar and pestle process? I love it.

@Becky-lol! I have Magic Bullet envy my sistah in crime.