March 1, 2012

Shades of Green

 Amy's Faux Funnel Swirl in white+3 shades of green scented with Spearmint

Amy's Faux Funnel Swirl Technique with a little bit of swirl on top-Spearmint

I've been eyeing Amy's Faux Funnel swirl technique for a while now, and was pondering a soap to try it on. I really liked the "Orange Bliss" soap she just posted about with the gradient-so I decided to give it a swirl err I mean a whirl. I used an oxide green and titanium and as Amy's video shows how to create a gradient look-I chose to use green (cause orange would have been an odd choice for Spearmint.) I wanted to use an essential oil I had plenty of and one that wasn't too expensive in case it just didn't work out-so I settled on Spearmint. I think the white and 3 shades of green will be nice. I'm not sure if the colors might have been too loose towards the bottom causing them to mingle a bit too much-but we'll see. I haven't worked with oxides or td for a while now, so this was a bit of an experiment in more ways than one. I wasn't very happy with the top of my faux swirl so I lightly swirled with a skewer to break the pattern up a bit.

The photos are perhaps not the best-I haven't found a nice angle for taking photos of soap in the mold,but I hope this gives you the idea. I didn't take the time to set up this photo properly-clearly(or not so clearly) I should have used a different aperture setting Oops!

Oh, and I also made a larger than usual mess in the kitchen-don't look dear...

Update (3-3-2012) I did finally get the kitchen clean. I used every measuring cup in the house for a different color-sooo, I had several measuring cups to deal with + the soap bowl and a couple of stick blenders-fun!! Amy, it's all your fault too!

I took the soap out of the mold last night and I'm just not sure if it is as pretty as Amy's (she has the faux funnel pour down folks) but we'll find out soon. I will be cutting it either this evening or tomorrow-it was a bit sweaty upon getting it out of the mold which means a bit soft. I like to let my log harden up a bit before cutting so that I don't damage the soap when I pick it up + I feel my cutter goes through a bit better. I'll keep you posted. I'd forgotten how lovely Spearmint as a single note smells-just so fresh and clean-a great scent for summer.

9 comments:

The Soap Sister said...

Beautiful green & white! I did a Eucalyptus-Double Mint a while back...not sure what you would call the technique, though. I pour a little green, pour a little white until I run outta' soap. Then I give it a swirl with my plastic meat fork (soap use only -so very professional LOL!) Your green is much more lovely....mine turned out "wish it was greener" green! Go clean your kitchen! ;) ~Beckster

Tierra Verde Handmade Soap said...

Beckster,I just hope I didn't go too green(as in I hope it doesn't bleed green-not good.) I haven't used anything other than clays or natural colorants for so long-that I was a bit unsure of myself. We'll see..
Yes,the kitchen is a mess after mixing up 4 colors and using several measuring cups to pour 4 colors.Yikes!Thank goodness the mister is kind of used to a bit of a soap mess.

Traci R said...

Lovely color combination. I can't wait to see it cut.

Amy Warden said...

Oh, you leave us hanging with such a lovely soap in the mold!!! Can't wait to see this one cut. Looks like the perfect shades of green!

Jennifer Young said...

I love this green too!! I wish I could get a natural green like that!!! spirulina - which fades... green clay which is great but sort of Army green... nettle which stinks slightly... this looks wonderful. Can't wait to see them cut! xo jen

Tara said...

Like Jennifer, I wish I could achieve a natural green like that as well. It is so pretty and I can't wait to see it cut. And the soap mess? Well, that cleans up. So worth it to make that soap.

Polly McNamara said...

I love the colour green, but so far I only use green clay, which is ok. this is such a beauty - really looking forward to seeing the cut pictures

Tierra Verde Handmade Soap said...

I took it out of the mold last night and it smells fabulous if nothing else. I don't know if it will be as beautiful as Amy's-she's got the faux funnel thing down. I'll be cutting it either late today or tomorrow-I'll be sure to share it with you. hugs>>>

Sheryl said...

Amy--just lovely. I like how you swirled your faux funnel swirl--nice touch.

Sheryl