October 28, 2011

A Cathartic Letter to Early Morning Theives

To the individuals that broke into vehicles up and down our street - at first I was very angry that you would destroy and steal property that clearly didn't belong to you. You shattered glass and took things that weren't yours -  that's what thieves do. I wonder if you ever see beyond the loot you take in such a cowardly manner? Do you stop to think about the middle class American that goes to work day in and day out to provide for his family? Do you see the nice vehicle parked in his driveway that he has worked overtime to buy, the vehicle that takes him to work each and every day, or the vehicle that takes the family on their much anticipated annual vacation that has been tightly budgeted for- the vacation that you have now compromised? Do you see the child that is now afraid to go to sleep because you have threatened his world? Do you see my neighbor that has to call the insurance adjuster and pay a deductible that may mean less food on the table this Thanksgiving? Do you see the dismay, the anger, the fear you caused with your actions? Probably not-because you think only about you-how sad.

Even though ours was one of the vehicles you made your mark on-I'm sorry for you. Even though I will undoubtedly have trouble sleeping tonight-I feel pity for you. I feel sad that you weren't snug in your bed in the wee hours of the morning. I feel sad that you thought it would be a great idea to take from others for your gain. I feel sad that you don't have that moral compass that tells you stealing/vandalizing is not right. I feel sad that you thought you had so much to gain by taking random useless things that meant nothing to you. I feel sad that you stole the wistful innocence away from a child - shattering the security of the place that is home. I feel sad that you don't feel....

3 comments:

Topcat said...

Amen!

Tara said...

Oh Michele, what a horrible thing to have happened. The thought of losing your sense of security in your own home is a sad thought indeed.

Tierra Verde Handmade Soap said...

Apparently they broke into vehicles for blocks around,surprisingly enough they didn't take money really. It's just totally skeeves me out to think of someone breaking into out truck and going through our stuff and then out there in the world with our things.I teeter back and forth from being very angry to thinking how sad.;-((