October 29, 2011

Not Quite as Proud as a Peacock



Thursday, I was prowling around at the blogs I like to read when I happened upon Amanda Griffin's blog Lovin Soap if you haven't checked out Amanda's blog you must-it's full of great tutorials and fun swirling techniques etc. Anyway, back to Thursday-I was prowling around and stopped dead in my tracks at the sight of  Amanda's beautiful Peacock Swirl, and I new had to try it. Amanda was using a slab mold for hers and so I knew there would be some tweaking to translate it over to my long narrow log mold,but I just had to see if  I could make it happen. I also had a concern about how much work time I would have with my formula as she suggests a formula that allows plenty of open time to work and I didn't want to change formulas.Turns out the open time was fine, but I need to rethink my peacock swirls, we initially started out with our loops too tight - so no real peacock effect, we then loosened them up, but they still aren't loopy enough. I still think it's very pretty even though it didn't come out as planned-I'm still pondering and will post the next trial batch.

For my colors I used-bamboo charcoal, cocoa and titanium dioxide over a pale yellow base-I had also intended for the base to poke through some,but it didn't so there are only 3 colors showing with a pale yellow base underneath. The scent is a lemongrass with cedar it smells fantastic and I think it will still be a looker.

8 comments:

Erin Napier said...

Ooh, what a cool idea! I think your swirl looks great Michele! Itching to try this myself now, lol.

Tierra Verde Handmade Soap said...

Thanks Erin,just not quite the loops they were supposed to be. Can't wait to see yours!

Heirloom Natural Soap said...

Very very cool Michele...I haven't checked out the other blog yet, but I have a hard time believing the soap could look better than this! Lovely work. :)

Two Blooms Design Studio said...

I love the colours you used and can't wait to see the cut photos.

Michelle

Tierra Verde Handmade Soap said...

Awww,thanks Michelle.I will be sure to post pics-I unmolded it this evening and will probably cut in a day or two.;-))

Tierra Verde Handmade Soap said...

You guys are really sweet.Overall I think it's definitely interesting and a "swirl" for sure but,it's a far cry from the intended Peacock swirl.Don't get me wrong though I'm happy with it and it smells very nice!Cut pics soon!

Amanda said...

It's beautiful! I can't wait to see what it looks like on the inside.

-Amanda

Tierra Verde Handmade Soap said...

Hi Amanda,;-)I'm still thinking about how I can get better loops-so I can have one as beautiful as yours.Thanks for stopping by!